31 december 2013

If at first you don´t succeed...

I am currently over the moon in love with my latest design, the Firefly inspired #BetrayalMittens. But that has not always been the case. I've struggled with every little bit of the process so far, but now I finally feel the pieces all falling into place.

It all started when I, as the last sci-fi lover in the 'verse, binge watched Firefly over a couple of days. Of course I fell madly in love and knew right away I had to make a mitten pattern.

Said and done, I took my idea and sat down in front of the computer. A few hours later I had... nothing. It just didn't click. At all.

A few days later I gave it another try and came up with a design I kind of liked. I went out and bought the yarn and cozied up on the sofa to start test knitting. I took one look at the pattern and it just felt totally wrong. Sigh!

So back to the drawing pad I went and changed the design and colouring. Bought some new yarn and put the whole project on the shelf for a while. I was already sick of it and I hadn't even knitted a stitch.

But skam den som ger sig, as we say in Sweden (it means something like "shame on he who gives up"). During Christmas I started the test knitting. And of course the size was way off on the lined cuff. And of course the base colour and the green didn't work together. I stuffed the knitting back on the shelf and considered never knitting another stitch in my life.

But that was never going to happen. Obviously. After a day or to I frogged the cuff, found some more fitting yarn from my stash and started knitting with different numbers and colours. This time it felt pretty good. I kind of liked it a little!

Now, after tweaking the design some more, I am convinced this is a new favourite. I just hope the feeling lasts all the way to cast off.

2 kommentarer:

iHanna sa...

är inte stickning det värsta som finns när det inte går bra? och det bästa när det går rätt? ser fint ut tycker jag!

Thepas sa...

Jo, så är det. Jag HATAR att repa upp. men ibland är det ju tvunget. Och allra oftast är det värt det i slutändan. :)